Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why the ARPM Marathon?
- Practice: the ARPM Marathon includes access to the ARPM Lab, with Python/Matlab code, case studies, exercises, simulation clips, theory, slides, video lecture
- Focus: statistics, analytics, quant investments. Our focus since 2000, long before the machine learning and big data revolution. Not focused on risk-neutral derivatives pricing
- Time: not as demanding as a master, more comprehensive than a MOOC
- Flexibility: you can take it in rush-bulk mode (Jan 2018-May2018) or one module at a time (1yr each)
- Price: our scalable model allows us to provide quality on a budget (see also high-discount group rates)
- Depth: the ARPM Marathon goes deeper than other offerings
- Assistance: because we go deeper, we help you more, with careful grading and office hours
- Certification: because we go deeper, the ARPM Certificate matters to employers
2. Can I start and finish the Marathon when I want, or do I need to follow a strict schedule?
You can start the Marathon at any time, and finish it at any time within one year, by accessing in sequence the recorded lectures at your own pace. Of course, you are also welcome to attend all the live lectures.
If you proceed at your own pace, we offer a coaching service to keep you on track, please contact us for more information.
3. Is it possible to attend only one or only some of the four modules of the ARPM Marathon?
Yes, please refer to our packages page for the pricing and to enroll.
4. Is it better to follow the live lectures or the recordings?
It is best to follow the recordings, rather than the live lectures, for the following reasons:
- The live sessions are merely recording sessions open to the public, which we perform to keep our recordings continuously up-to-date.
- We do not take questions during the live sessions, so as not to slow or the pace of the instruction.
- On the other hand, we curate the long recordings, splitting them into smaller topic-specific clips, which we embed surgically in the ARPM Lab, so as to surround them with all the relevant support materials. This allows our students to focus on one topic at a time, with no interruptions or delays, while maintaining all the advantages of a well-sequenced and highly structured syllabus.
- We complement the recorded lectures with numerous personalized interaction: we offer a large number of live office hours at convenient hours worldwide, we grade all homework and provide feedback, we offer live networking sessions. Also, upon demand, we offer a "personal trainer" service to help students stay on track with their personal schedule.
5. The syllabus is extensive. Do you cover all models?
Rather than presenting yet another (always partial) list of models, our approach is to discuss in depth the key principles that drive all models, and show how a few relevant examples follow from such principles. This allows our graduates not only to understand all the current models, but also, and most importantly, to build their own.
6. Will I be ready to talk about the latest innovations in machine learning?
Our approach is to derive quantitative models from principles, rather than present yet another recipe book. This allows our graduates not only to converse on current advanced topics, but also to understand how new topics fit in the general framework of learning and decision theory.
7. How much homework is assigned?
Homework is assigned every week and must be turned in by the end of the week for it to be graded. You need to plan to spend a substantial portion of your weekend doing homework.
8. Can I skip the homework?
You can skip any or all homework: we assign and grade homework for your convenience only, for you to realize if you are on track, and if anything needs more attention. The homework grades will not contribute toward the ARPM Certificate.
9. Are the instructors available for Q&A?
Yes, the instructors provide office hours every week.
Furthermore, they respond in class to most questions sent their way.
Also, we follow up on any question posted on our Forum.
Finally, we host informal gatherings with all the attendees to address technical and non-technical questions.
10. How long will I have access to the recorded lectures or to the ARPM Lab?
Access to the live and recorded lectures of the ARPM Marathon, as well as to the ARPM Lab, lasts for one year since you enroll.
You can extend your ARPM Lab subscription indefinitely.
If you pass the ARPM Certificate exams, you will be granted the heavily discounted Lifetime Access to all the ARPM materials.
11. Are the ARPM Certificate exams or any other exams mandatory as part of the ARPM Marathon?
There is no mandatory exam. the ARPM Marathon (courses) and the ARPM Certificate (exams) are separate offering: you can take either one without the other.
However, while attending the ARPM Marathon, we encourage you to pursue the ARPM Certificate:
a) Employers will refer to the ARPM Certificate in order to grant you an opportunity
b) The ARPM Marathon schedule is fully synchronized with the ARPM Certificate exams
c) We offer career services and further discounts to those who successfully pursue the ARPM Marathon and the ARPM Certificate jointly.
12. What are the differences between ARPM Marathon, ARPM Bootcamp and ARPM MOOC?
Please refer to our course comparison page here.
13. Are there networking and career opportunities?
Yes. We connect the attendees of each module through our alumni pages and we organize networking sessions for them.
Furthermore, we offer career services and further discounts to those who successfully pursue the ARPM Marathon and the ARPM Certificate jointly.
15. Is there a refund policy?
Yes, please refer to our packages page.
16. Do the recordings need to include the instructor speaking in the corner?
Our faculty would much prefer not to have their faces included in be recordings. However, studies indicate that the presence of a speaking individual helps keeping the audience more focused.